Baldwin County Democrats and OFA started off 2012 with a bang!
- Retired Supreme Court Justice Janie Shores spoke to a large and enthusiastic Eastern Shore audience at their first meeting of the year.
- South Baldwin Democrats held a short phone bank to start the voter identification project and then learned about the Republican voter suppression laws that are now in place or in the works in many states across the nation, including Alabama.
- OFA and Eastern Shore Democrats attended the MLK memorial service in Foley, marched in the parade and participated in the celebration program in Bay Minette.
- Five OFA volunteers from South Baldwin and the Eastern Shore signed up 51 people for the President’s “I’m In” campaign. OFA State of the Union watch parties were held around the county. Our very own Pam Skaggs hosted 18 supporters of the president in Gulf Shores, assisted by Linda Chappelle, Peggy Cunningham and of course, Craig Skaggs. Smaller parties were also held in Lillian and Foley. The Eastern Shore OFA hosted 30 people at Homestead Village in Fairhope with a smaller event held at a private home.
- The Baldwin County Democratic Executive Committee also got off to a great start by approving a county-wide website that will include all our Democratic clubs, OFA and serve as a virtual “office” for anyone who wants to get involved with the work we do here in Baldwin. Additionally, the BCDEC approved office space, on Hwy 59 in Summerdale, directly across from the Summerdale Flea Market for the 2012 election season. We are scheduled to open on Sunday, March 11. Please mark this date in your calendars and start gathering items that can be used in our office. We will be sending out more detailed information at the end of the month.
- And lastly, the South Baldwin JJ Dinner will now be hosted by the BCDEC with all clubs and Democratic organizations being asked to participate. This event has been moved to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, Saturday, May 5. Details will be announced as they are confirmed.
Now on to February events and activities:
- Probate Judge’s Official Poll Workers Training THIS WEEK!!
Monday, February 6th – Bay Minette Civic Center – 9 am & 6 pm Tuesday, February 7th – Foley Civic Center – 9 am & 6 pm Wednesday, February 8th – Fairhope Civic Center – 10 am & 6 pm From the official announcement: “Please remember that your attendance does not guarantee an appointment. However, you must be certified in order to be considered for appointment.” This is the official nonpartisan work inside the polls.
- We will also have official Democratic Party Poll Watchers, that are volunteers from our different Democratic groups that will “watch” at each poll or go from poll to poll checking. We will also have a training at the first of March for anyone who would like to be a poll watcher.
- Tuesday, February 7: Eastern Shore Democrats will hold their regular meeting at 7:00 pm at the Unitarian Fellowship, across from the Fairhope Satellite Courthouse, on 1150 Fairhope Ave in Fairhope. Dr. Lamar Rencher, a retired Fairhope physician will speak on “Inequality in America”. Guests from Occupy Mobile will also be present to talk about what they are doing.
- Tuesday, February 14: South Baldwin Democrats’ regular monthly meeting will be at 6:00 pm at the Live Oak Village Clubhouse in Foley. It is Valentine’s Day, so let’s have a nice Italian theme “pot luck” with any Valentine’s dessert you may want to share….this will be a social and working meeting. We need to talk about our new website, our 2012 campaign office and the JJ Dinner. Please RSVP to this e-mail with a dish that you can bring to show your LOVE of South Baldwin Democrats!
- Tuesday, February 21: BCDEC regular monthly meeting will be at 7:00 in the Camelia Room at Homestead Village in Fairhope. The meeting is open to guests. We have some vacancies for the our South Baldwin geographic area…so if you are interested, please call Rob Bedford, 251-609-3123.
There are OFA activities scheduled for the month of February, but this is getting to be a very loooong newsletter, so I will stop at this point and send out a separate OFA newsletter so that we can wrap this one up and get it out tonight ! Any questions or for more information, please call me or reply to this e-mail.
Pat Siano, Chair
South Baldwin Democrats 251-979-8583